Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Truth Really Does Set Us Free.

"I am a terrible Mother" flits through my mind, just as I am drifting off to sleep. Sigh.
Commence restless sleeping.

This was me last night.
I must say, it has been a looooooooong time since this has happened. Maybe even dating back to the last time I wrestled with accusing thoughts.

But, that wasn't the only thought in there. When I took the time to jot down my thoughts this morning, to expose them to The Light, I came up with a much longer list:

"I am an unloving Mother."

"I am a tyrant."

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills."

"I feel like I'm repeatedly bashing my head against a wall in regards to teaching my kids how to be disciplined."

"I can't keep it all together."

"How can I possibly balance being a good wife, mother, daughter, friend, pastor, AND businesswoman?"

Now, normally, I would have just let that be it, and meditated on negativity, feasted on these lies.
But, not so today.

Instead, I decided to combat each of those statements with God's TRUTH.

This phrase has been resurfacing time and again in my head. I finally put it to paper...


Say it again. Say it out loud. Make it personal!
"For every LIE in my mind, there is a TRUTH in God's Word to counteract it."

So, this is what I did.
Underneath each of those lies, I wrote a truth from God's Word. It went something like this...

"I am an unloving Mother."
NO. "The love of God has been shed abroad in my heart." (Romans 5:5)

"I am a tyrant."
NO. "I am a Child of God." (1 John 3:2)

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills."
NO. "God has given me a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)

"I feel like I'm repeatedly bashing my head against a wall in regards to teaching my kids how to be disciplined."
NO. "My children shall be taught by the Lord and great shall be their peace." (Isaiah 54:13)

"I can't keep it all together."
NO. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)

"There is no way I can possibly balance being a good wife, mother, daughter, friend, pastor, AND businesswoman."
NO. "He generously gives wisdom to those who ask of Him." (James 1:5)

These were the first verses to come to mind, but there are any number of verses that would fit in each slot.

I see two keys in learning to combat the lies:
The first key is: writing the truth, reciting the truth, meditating on the truth, and letting the "implanted Word save your soul." (James 1:21) Your soul, which houses your mind, your will, your emotions, yeah, it desperately needs the TRUTH.

The seond key is: finding a trusted sister to confess these thoughts to, and being vulnerable with her. "Confess your faults to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed." (James 5:16) We really do need each other.

Lord, forgive me for entertaining these lies about myself even for a nanosecond. Let truth prevail in my life in every area.

Are you ready to counteract some of the lies you've been listening to?
Tell me what they are in the comments, I would love to pray for you!

~ christa jean

This post, The Truth Really Does Set Us Free, first appeared on Transforme.

1 comment:

Meme said...

Your beauty shines through not only you but also your children. Truth.